Wednesday, January 19, 2011

None for the road


You gulp down your glass
The one you hold in your hand
The rush of alcohol going straight to your head
And behold, on top of the world you stand
You along with the others yell for another
A bottoms up this time around
After all this is an occasion to celebrate
And to feel free and not tied down
I look at you with a wary glance
For I've seen you this way before
It wasn't pretty any of the times
My heart skips a beat as you stagger towards the door
I get to my feet
And follow you out
There you are leaning on the railing
Already in the act of throwing up
I pat your back
To help you out a bit
But you don't seem to need it
As the party animal within you wins again
And back you go to get yourself a drink
Half an hour passes in a jiffy
And in the mood you are to ride
A long cruise in your car
I try to reason with you
Try to make you see some sense
For the feeling in me is something I just can't hide
You do the same,
Try to convince me to join you
Try to talk some of your brand of logic into me
And plead with me
Try to make me see
The thrills
Of the random frills
You foresee for that night
But how can I make you realize
Of what I fear
The anguish of what I'd feel, so sheer
You take the last resort
And ask for one for the road
But I stick to my guns
And stand unmoved
Finally talk you out of it
For I care for us, and value the days I'd have with you,
The ones I fear I'd never have if I let you go
For I care more for you, sweetie
Than the road you want to toast to.


This is an appeal to all of you out there not to drink and drive. And please stop any of your friends and family from doing so..it is simply not worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Damn that was a good read! Do consider segregating your work into verses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah dude..the verses suggestion does make sense..

    ReplyDelete

Say it like you mean it...